Jewelry FAQ & Care Information:
What is 14kt Gold-Filled?
Gold-filled jewelry is a lifetime gold product that, unlike plating, will never flake, peel or rub off. A thick sheet of 14k gold (100 times thicker than plating) is permanently bonded to a base metal that leaves only gold touching the skin. This technique is a cheaper alternative to buying solid 14k gold; and looks, wears and feels exactly like solid gold.
What is sterling silver?
Lionne Designs uses .925 Sterling Silver: the highest quality, jewelry-grade alloy made of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% copper. By itself, pure silver is extremely soft making it unsuitable for jewelry, thus an alloy was created. Sterling silver is safe to wear and allergy-free.
What is tarnish?
All sterling silver will tarnish; but with proper care, it will look as beautiful as the day it was purchased. Tarnish is a natural process that occurs when the air’s gasses come in contact with silver. Tarnish starts as a yellowish tint, becoming more difficult to remove as it turns brown and eventually black when not cared for properly.
How do I keep silver jewelry from tarnishing?
Prevent tarnish by storing jewelry in small air-tight, zip-lock bags. Frequent light polishing with a Lionne Designs polishing cloth will help to minimize tarnishing. Periodically washing jewelry with a mild soap solution and warm water is also an easy way to prevent tarnishing.
Jewelry Care Tips
"Last On, First Off" - Hair products, lotions, cosmetics, and perfumes can harm the delicate surface of stones and dirty a metal's surface. Always put jewelry on last when getting ready, and the first to take off when ending your day.
- Lightly polish after each wear using a Lionne Designs anti-tarnish polishing cloth
- Store all jewelry in air-tight plastic baggies to prevent tarnish
- Do not store jewelry in the bathroom where humidity can accelerate tarnish
- Always remove jewelry before washing or swimming to keep safe from harmful chemicals
- Never wear jewelry while doing strenuous activities-jewelry is a delicate work of art.
Homemade Sterling Silver Cleaning Solution - Click here for a printable version (PDF document)
This solution is safe on sterling silver and most natural stones and gems. Always test a small portion of jewelry before submerging the entire piece.
A small bowl, aluminum foil, warm water, powdered Tide laundry detergent without bleach (do not use liquid detergent), soft toothbrush, soft towels
Line a bowl with aluminum foil, shiny side up. Fill the bowl with enough water to completely submerge the jewelry, add one or two teaspoons of powdered Tide laundry detergent and stir until completely dissolved. Lay silver jewelry in the soapy solution for thirty seconds at a time. The toothbrush can be used to gently scrub away tarnish from tight spaces. Rinse jewelry in clean water and allow it to completely dry on a towel before putting back in storage.
Ring Sizing Guide
Click here to print this PDF document.
Lifetime Guarantee Guidelines:
Lionne Designs jewelry is backed by a lifetime guarantee. With the original receipt, an item may be returned for the same or similar item (of equal or lesser value) due to a defect in the workmanship.
Examples of items covered by the lifetime guarantee:
- A clasp, link, or chain breaks due to a manufacturer's defect in the craftsmanship of the piece.
- Broken elastic in a bracelet or necklace.
- When the jewelry separates/comes apart from the metal clasp due to a manufacture's defect.
- Broken clasp mechanism or earring post.
- Stone that comes out of setting due to reasons other than normal wear.
- If a prong breaks due to reasons other than normal wear.
Examples of items not covered by the lifetime guarantee:
- Fashion watches are not covered under the lifetime guarantee.
- Tangled or kinked jewelry. Tip: Fasten the clasps on jewelry and keep items stored in an airtight bag.
- If metal becomes stressed due to excessive stretching/bending to tighten or loosen the piece, including tension clasps on bracelets and earrings. Tip: Avoid molding cuff bracelets. Silver is a soft metal and will stress with excessive bending. If the tension clasp loosens, simply pinch it together.
- Bent french wire earring. Tip: Gently twist the plastic or rubber earring safety back on. Do not push or force them.
- Cuts, scratches, scrapes, and dents in jewelry that occur during normal wear. Tip: Remove jewelry while participating in any activity that may put stress on the piece.
- If the shank of a ring breaks or wears thin over time. Tip: Remove rings during activities that may put extra stress on the jewelry.
- If the oxidation or texture wears off. Tip: Be careful when polishing oxidized pieces, because the oxidation is part of the design. Over polishing can remove oxidation.
- An item becomes tarnished. Tip: Polish sterling silver pieces after each wear and store items in an airtight polyethylene bag. You can't over polish sterling silver!
- If the finish on a stone becomes dull over time. Tip: Remove jewelry before applying perfume, lotion, and soaps or any other chemical.
- If a leather cord frays or breaks. Tip: Keep leather away from water.
- If an earring or any part of the jewelry is lost, a replacement part is not covered by the warranty.
- Items that have been altered in any way are not covered under the lifetime guarantee.
- Fashion watches are not covered under the lifetime guarantee.
Lifetime Guarantee Policy:
With the original receipt or invoice, an item may be exchanged for a replacement due to a defect in workmanship. Normal wear and tear, accidental damage, lost pieces, fashion watches and items that have been altered in any way are not covered under this warranty. The item must be replaced by the same item. If the original item is no longer available, an exchange may be made for an item of equal or lesser value. An item of greater value will have the applicable difference in retail and sales tax applied. Shipping costs incurred to send the item to Lionne Designs will not be refundable or credited.
Exchange Policy (30-Day Exchanges Only, No Refunds):
Lionne Designs offers 30-day exchanges only, no refunds. With the original receipt or invoice, an item in new and unworn condition may be exchanged within 30 days of original purchase date by exchanging for another item or given in-store credit. An item of greater value will have the applicable difference in retail and sales tax applied. Shipping costs incurred to send the item to Lionne Designs will not be refundable or credited.
All returns and exchanges must be accompanied by the original receipt and the Exchange Form (PDF document) to ensure accurate and timely return of your product or refund. Click here to print this PDF document.
- Jewelry must be returned in the original packaging and a padded envelope (jewelry damaged in shipping will not be accepted), accompanied by the original sales receipt and Exchange Form with returned merchandise. We will not accept returns shipped C.O.D.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing and delivery.
- Ship returns to: Lionne Designs, Attn: Returns, 414 Highland Court, Iowa City, IA 52240
For further questions or comments, please contact Lionne Designs and our Customer Service department will be happy to assist you.